May 13, 2015
This week sounds like a perfect week to go about examining one’s favorite things and how they help you through life’s struggles. So below are some of my favorite things.
What are your favorite things? How do they give you comfort in life when life just seems really hard?
**My Favorite Things:
- God – Every morning lately I have spent 1-2 hours thoroughly reading and studying God’s Word through Bible app reading plans, devotion, and prayer. This gives me comfort at the start of the day, reminding me that God is with me, has amazing plans for me, and that trusting and being confident in Him will bless me.
- Family – There’s no better support system I have than my husband and family. They are my constant encouragement and true love, helping me realize what’s really important in life. My husband has a great sense of humor, too, as well as the rest of my family. Humor mixed with love is probably the best way to help a loved one overcome a trial!
- Cats – My cats, Lefty and Felix, are really entertaining. They also keep us on our toes, but get into everything! My black cat, Felix, as you’ve probably seen in my recent Youtube video here, is the most prone to getting into mischief! No matter where we hide his cat food, he has a highly alert, keen sense of smell and does anything he can – destroying the carpet, opening doors as strongly as he can – etc., just so he can get what he wants. No matter what I go through in a day, their entertainment keeps me reminded that there are enjoyable aspects of life to constantly strive for and look forward to.
- Knitting – There’s just something comforting about the tip-tap of the knitting needles softly clinking together, along with the soft, tender feel of that brand new ball of yarn, that comforts you and gives you peace. It’s a feeling only needle-workers can understand. Any needle-workers out there? 🙂
- Baking – My husband loves it when I bake stuff. He does most of the cooking around the home since I don’t really enjoy cooking at all. I even groan about making a simple pot of mac and cheese! His favorite thing that I make is my Oreo Pie Dessert, which you can see on my page Discover More! Putting all the recipes together, measuring cups, tablespoons, and teaspoons of ingredients, is fun to me. Plus having a big sweet tooth is a plus, too. 😉
- Playing Piano – Yes, it’s true, I have played piano for 16 years. I have a piano keyboard in our office corner, but as all avid pianists know, nothing beats sitting down at a real piano. My heart melts at seeing a brand new, black and shiny piano, sitting there just waiting for someone to play it! I love all the classic composers, such as Pachebel, Mozart, Beethoven, Handel, etc. I’ve played almost every Beethoven piece, and have played at least one song from each of these composers. Classical music is my favorite to play, but I also enjoy jazzy tunes. Playing a simple song makes you forget about your troubles and focus on the soft comfort of music that sings all your troubles away. Any musical followers out there? 🙂
- Reading a Book – I’m not a fan of Kindles, etc. It’s fine if someone else uses them. But for me, I love the crisp, soft feeling of the book in my hand. You can stroke your hand across the texture of the book cover, feeling the crispness of the pages, and know how real the book is. If it it was up to me, I’d have an entire library of books. My favorites are anything from Jane Austen and Kate Morton. But aside from the Bible, my all-time favorite book is Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. The book just really speaks to me. I don’t know if it is because I’m a writer or because I have three younger sisters. Reading a book with a telling story just sends you into another world where nothing else matters except the fun adventure you’re about to experience!
- Gardening – Since we live in an apartment, there’s really not much of a garden you can have. We tried growing a tomato plant in a pot, but it didn’t work out so well. More so than vegetable plants, however, are using the beauty of flowers, even if it is just a dozen-some pots lined up on your balcony. I enjoy learning more about plans and flowers in how to make them better and better. Just another comfort of home.
- Humor – My favorite comedians of all time are Brian Regan and Jim Gaffigan. Not only are they relatively clean humorists, they make you laugh. Laughter is the best medicine to anything, no matter what kind of sick you’re feeling.
What are your favorite things?
Have a good week, everyone. 🙂 Don’t forget to enjoy life to the fullest! 🙂